|Tweet||Interested in Reselling?|
With the rising incidence of security compromises, it is more important than ever to protect consumer data. Any cardholder data obtained during the payment process is confidential and therefore must be protected by merchants. However, data thieves are targeting merchants' procedural or system vulnerabilities to gain access to this information.
To help prevent the theft of card data and protect cardholder data, the five founding global payment brands, American Express, Discover Financial Services, JCB International, MasterCard Worldwide, and Visa Inc. launched the PCI Security Standards Council in 2006.
What is PCI-DSS?
PCI-DSS stands for Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS). It is the technical requirements of each of the data security compliance programs intended to ensure that merchants' credit card processing procedures meet certain security requirements. The PCI-DSS applies to all organizations that store, process or transmit cardholder data. EVERY business that accepts debit or credit card processing payments and stores, processes or transmits payment card data MUST MEET the PCI-DSS.
The following 12 requirements comprise the PCI Data Security Standards:
1. Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect data
2. Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and other security parameters
3. Protect stored data
4. Encrypt transmission of cardholder data and sensitive information across public networks
5. Use and regularly update anti-virus software
6. Develop and maintain secure systems and applications
7. Restrict access to data by business need-to-know
8. Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access
9. Restrict physical access to cardholder data
10. Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data
11. Regularly test security systems and processes
12. Maintain a policy that addresses information security
The EBA Financial Advantage:
EBA Financial is committed to ensuring its merchant customers are PCI compliant. We are here to help you every step of the way.